It looks as if there are some people that are knowledgeable about computers but still confused with the difference in regular tablets and the graphic design tablets. That is why this article is being written to explain what the difference is in these two.
Digital or graphic tablets
Digital drawing tablets are called different names but mainly digitizer tablets or digitizers are graphic tablets. These tablets are mainly used for sketching and drawing by graphic designers. These have:
- Special pens;
- Sensitive surfaces;
- Special writing surfaces;
- Transfers in digital format;
- Connects to a PC/Mac or laptop.
This helps any graphic designer or anyone to easily digitize:
This can help to transfer easily any image from regular paper to a computer by tracing the image to a computer by simply tracing it on the graphic board.
Digitizing tablets are a better alternative than using the standard mouse, especially for graphics professionals, as they provide the precision that a normal mouse can’t. Some tablets, especially low-priced ones are targeted at young children, come with a corded stylus, and uses technology comparable to older RAND tablets.
Advantages and Features
Graphic tablets have features and advantages that need to be studied before investing any money in one of these tablets. The main criteria you need to consider when looking for a tablet is the size.
A regular user will be fine with area to use that goes up to 8 x 10 which should be plenty for most users. There is one exception and that is graphic design artists, as bigger is better. But bigger will also be more expensive so a decision about the need and use of this type needs to be known. In many cases, a tablet with an active area around the size of an A4 paper is primary.
There are several review sites that will help you see what types of graphic tablets are considered the best. With the ability of social media to collect both positive and negative reviews, most consumers will be able to find rankings for the types of graphic tablets that are fairly accurate. This will help you to avoid low quality and inferior models. Consumer Reports is one place to get more research information.
The many types of graphic tablets include:
- Passive tablets;
- Active tablets;
- Optical tablets using small optical cameras;
- Acoustic tablets using sound technology;
- Capacitive tablets designed to use an electrostatic or capacitive signal technology.
There are many types of digitizing tablets with various capabilities, different screens and other features as well as regular tablets. Doing research on the internet will help you get the tablet that is the best for your needs as well as the prices.
Other needs to research include:
- Connectivity or interface – It’s important to see how you can interface the tablet to a computer;
- Accessories and extra functions – It’s important for a regular tablet to have a reliable and comfortable pen. Some graphic tablets come with extra accessories, like an optical mouse pad that will work on their surface, and special carrying cases;
- Software – Drawing tablets will also come with software and drivers that are used to connect to your computer and use them in your daily work. Also, you might get Free Software bundles which might be useful, however, in most cases you won’t need the majority of programs included in the pack.
- Brand – There are a couple of brand names that are known for their history of quality graphic tablets, and if you find their products, go for them you won’t be disappointed. One major brand is Wacom and many college courses require that specific brand.
- Price – Last is the matter of cost. A good graphic tablet may vary from about $50 to $300. Of course, some are more expensive devices, but those are not meant for everyday users.
Now, what’s the difference between the category of regular tablets and graphics tablets? They are completely different types of machines. While the digital tablets are only able to digitize images, the regular tablets are actually full computers with an interface that uses touch control.
These usually come with big color displays or LCD screens. They can display all kind of content like a regular monitor, and you get the ability to control everything with only your finger. But, regular tablets can’t be used for digitizing any content since in most cases they are not as precise at this job as dedicated graphic tablets are like the ones we’ve talked about above.
So all in all, these are two different types of devices. One only focuses on digitizing various images and only usable for this exact purpose, and the other, regular tablets are compact mobile computers with lots of utilities.
But with good information you should be able to make a great decision that will fit the needs you have and not cause you to spend a lot of money.